If there’s one thing everyone can agree on, it’s this: Calzones are amazing. These delicious, delicious pockets of deliciousness are a classic Italian showstopper and a must have in any pizzeria.
If you need a quick and portable comfort meal after a hard day, these sauce-filled bundles of enjoyment are always perfect. But while the classic calzone is amazing, some people want to revamp the old staples in their own fun way.
Fortunately, we can help with this. We chewed through the internet to find the best calzone recipes that would make you intoxicated. Grab your yeast and let’s cook!
Buffalo Chicken Calzone
This first addition to our list of Calzone dishes is for any of you spice lovers. Hearty and easy to make, this calzone has a good amount of kick.
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halved
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 1 refrigerated pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 410 ° F (210 ° C). Grease a pizza pan.
- Place the chicken in a large pot, cover with salted water and allow it to boil. Cook the chicken breasts until it becomes pink in the middle and the juice is clear for about fifteen minutes.
- An instant-read thermometer inserted in the center should read at least 165 ° F (74 ° C). Take out the chicken in a bowl and cut it with two forks.
- Melt butter in a pan over medium-high heat. Cook the Chicken and Buffalo Wing Sauce in hot butter and shake until the chicken is coated and heated for two to four minutes.
- Flip the pizza dough onto a well-kneaded surface. Roll out the dough into a 12 inch round shape. Brush the dough with 1 tbsp of vegetable oil and spread 1 cup of mozzarella cheese in the center of the dough, leaving a 1-inch border.
- Spread chicken mixture over cheese; Top chicken mixture with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Fold the pizza dough in half and seal the edges by joining together. Pour the calzone into a prepared pizza pan and brush the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over the top.
- Bake the crust in a preheated oven until it is golden brown, seventeen to twenty minutes.
Meat lover calzone
This next addition to our list of the best calzone recipes is when you want to dip your teeth into some nice, juicy meat! This recipe is easy to make and is a great family dinner after a busy day.
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 package) Red Star Quick Rise or Platinum Yeast
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce, and additional extra to serve
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup pepperoni, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup Canadian Bacon, sliced
- 1/2 cup black olives, roughly chopped
- 1 cup Mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Combine all purpose flour, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Add liquid material and mix with a paddle or beater for four minutes at medium speed.
- Gradually add extra flour if necessary and knead with a dough hook for five to seven minutes until smooth and elastic. Put the flour in a lightly greased bowl and flip it over to make it smooth. Cover, and let rise until the dough doubles and the cooked test passes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 ° F (191 ° C). Flip the dough lightly over the kneaded surface; Punch down to remove air bubbles. Divide the dough into 4 pieces. Shape the balls. Let the dough rest for ten minutes. On the dough surface, roll each piece into an 8-inch circle.
- Spoon pizza sauce, cheese and toppings on half of each circle. Wash the egg Grease the edge of the flour with the egg wash mixture. fold in half. Seal the edge by pressing with a fork. Prick each top, and brush with the remaining egg mixture. Bake on a greased cookie sheet for thirty five minutes or until golden brown. serve immediately.
Want the comfort of a calzone without all the meat? This final addition to our list of the best calzone recipes is for you!
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green chilli, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1 cup chopped monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup chopped chunk mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) of frozen bread flour, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large pan, fry the mushrooms, onions and green chillies in the oil until they become soft. Add tomatoes; Cook and stir for three minutes. Add tomato paste and keep aside. Add cottage cheese, and set aside.
- On the light dough surface, divide the dough into eight pieces. Roll each piece into a 7-inch. Circle. Spoon 1/2 cup vegetable mixture and 1/4 cup cheese mixture on one side of each circle.
- Brush the edges of the dough with water; Knead the dough over the filling and press the edges to seal with a fork. Place the calzones 3 inches apart on the greased baking sheet. Cover and let it rise in a warm place for twenty minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 ° F (191 ° C). Whisk the eggs and water and brush on the calzone. Bake for thirty to thirty three minutes or until golden brown.
Do you have any other mouthwater calzone recipes you’d like us to try? Leave them below in the comments so we keep munching!