With this year’s Silicon Gorge: Spring Edition we are publishing profiles of some companies that have made it through heat. This week it’s an app to improve the wellbeing of mass groups, Family.
Here are co-founder Benjamin Draper to answer our questions:
1. What does your company do?
We help families improve their overall health in a fun and simple way, through activities that work well within a game mobile app experience.
2. What problem are you trying to solve?
Mental, physical and nutritional well-being are the basis of quality of life. However, many families struggle to implement healthy activities into their routines, with parents busy and many other responsibilities, as children usually find healthy habits boring and uninterrupted, and therefore do not engage.
Our solution provides families with an effective tool to improve their well-being through mutual activities and facilitation facilities. We bring families together to focus on creative activities that help them exercise more, eat better and improve their mental health, all from one place. In turn, according to user feedback, our app equips families to navigate everyday life as well as improve their overall health, while also increasing the burden added by the global epidemic.
3. What makes your solution unique?
The market is saturated with health and fitness resources to help people lead healthy lifestyles; However, none target whole family units. Our mobile application sets itself apart by providing specific family activities including all the elements of wellbeing in one app: exercise, nutrition and mental health, while entangling the family using animated avatars and reward systems – a combination Which does not currently exist on the market. .
Families can choose from three different well-being categories named after body parts: body, mouth, and mind. These include a variety of innovative and entertaining “challenges” to help families exercise together, improve their nutrition, and promote mental mood and family communication.
Each member of the family has its own animated character, from which the positive impact of a healthy lifestyle on them can be imagined. This means that our users easily have a variety of health activities at their fingertips, designed and presented in a way for all children and parents alike, which maximizes interest and desire.
4. What are you most proud of so far?
We are most proud of the impact we are having on the lives of families. The feedback we have received so far is amazing and that is what motivates us to provide and build on this fantastic solution. Knowing that we are helping improve the health and happiness of young children and parents is the best feeling we can ask for. Below is just one example of the feedback we receive:
“My kids and I like this app very much, especially the mind exercises right before bed. It helps us think well about the things and people in our lives that give us meaning every day . Thank you!”
5. How much are you increasing and for whom do you want to use the investment?
We are looking to raise £ 225,000 in SEIS and EIS funds for which we already have advanced assurance. The funds will be used for the following business activities over the course of 18 months, equivalent to a monthly burn rate of £ 12,500;
- The salaries of both co-founders allow them to devote their full-time efforts to the business (around £ 30k each).
- Do app marketing for our niche audience, which we are constantly refining. This will take place through a variety of mediums including parents’ social media influences, content creation and online advertisements (around £ 100k).
- Building a team to hire a software engineer to develop mobile applications (around £ 50k)
- Mobile app and website hosting, most of which are direct costs, are therefore estimated based on sales and inclusion; Google Firebase, Revenuecat, Squarespace (approx. £ 5k)
- Acquiring intellectual property through trademarks. It will also be expanding our UK trademark on our logo to other overseas markets, as well as trademarking our unique incarnations (around 10 million).
6. Which tools / people / services / organizations helped you the most?
We have been incredibly fortunate to have an excellent support network that has helped us in our journey so far and will continue to do so and we will continue to do so. It is from people like Giulia Pratico, Kim Brookes, Mark Corderoy, Anders Wikstrom, and organizations Innovate UK, UWE Launch Space And The Princess Trust.
7. Where can we find out more about you?
We can get more information about us and how our app can support families. Website here.